Middle Lane

From Tedsoc Wiki
Revision as of 21:47, 9 May 2019 by Rosemary (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. You can view Middle Lane on Google Maps.

This is said to be one of the older roads in Teddington. It is a narrow road leading from Park Road up to the junction with Elleray Road and thereafter as a footpath up to North Lane.

Middle Lane was an old trackway which, before the railway and the Clarence hotel were built in 1863, crossed Park Road and continued along what is now Bridgeman Road. The road contains an interesting variety of artisan homes and also a terrace of 4 pre-Second World War houses, a pair of post-Second World War houses as well as the residential enclosure Dell's Close.

"There were five houses on the south side of Middle Lane in 1800 and three houses and some hovels on the north side. None of the houses standing in 1800 are there today. Although the lane is sometimes called Back Lane at about this time, in the Enclosure Award it is merely described as a small branch off the Road next Sam Redfords. He was the owner of the property at the west end of the lane on the North side of the road. In about 1840 the lane was called Dell's Lane after one of the inhabitants. (This name is commemorated today in a recent residential gated development called Dell's Close). It was not until The Causeway was opened between Broad Street and Park Road in about 1860 that the road was called Middle Lane.

"Although none of the houses there today were standing in 1800 there are three pairs of cottages towards the West end of the lane, nos. 13 & 15, 21 & 23, and 25 & 27 that were built in about 1806 and belonged to the Lord of the Manor." (From The Houses of Teddington, 1800 to 2000 AD by P.A. Ching and Members of the Teddington Society History Research Group, December 1999).

The properties in this road designated by the Council on their website as Buildings of Townscape Merit are: