Udney Park Pavilion
Road: Udney Park Road
Property: Udney Park Pavilion
Udney Park Pavilion is located on the west side of Udney Park playing fields. It faces the field rather than the road. The pavilion is a single storey, u-shaped, mostly symmetrical structure with a later 1960s neo-Georgian style two-storey block to the north. It is of Arts and Crafts design but with many later additions. It has a main block and two projecting wings with a flat-roofed veranda on four red brick piers between the wings. It has a hipped tiled roof with two red brick chimneystacks, one featuring a mounted clock. On the front roof slope are three dormer windows. Rainwater goods are a mixture of cast-iron and replacement plastic. The walling is red brick laid in irregular bond to the pavilion and red brick laid in stretcher bond to the later block. Windows are a mixture of multi-paned metal and timber casements with timber surrounds. The later block has rubbed brick lintels with the central window having a round-headed rubbed brick arch. Both projecting wings, along with the veranda and central tile-hung dormer, have been extended and modified since the original design. Udney Park Pavilion was featured in “Smaller House, selected examples of Latest Practice in Modern Architecture” and in the 1924 Royal Academy Summer Exhibition as a result of its architectural merit.
The Pavilion was built c.1920-22 to designs of Charles Wescott Reeves and Stanley Philip Schooling as a war memorial following the Great War of 1914-18. On 31st October 1917 it was decided to fund a lasting and visible record and permanent memorial to the fallen from Merchant Taylors’ School. Funded by the War Charity along with other donations, the Merchant Taylors’ School ‘War Memorial Ground’ was opened on 27th November 1922 by Viscount Cave, then the Lord Chancellor, and former WWI Home Secretary. Two oak panels inscribed with the names of over 300 Old Boys were originally located in the tearoom, however, these were later moved to Durrants in 1937 and then again in 2011 to the clubhouse at Moors Park. In 1937, Udney Park was purchased by Lord Beaverbrook and given to St. Mary’s Medical School RFC, a renowned team who won the Hospital’s Cup a total of 32 times before they were subsumed into Imperial Medicals RFC who went on to use Udney Park from 1996-2015.
At the time of listing as a BTM (late 2021) the pavilion was not in use.
Source: Richmond Council Assessment
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.