Hampton Road, "Teddington Hall"

From Tedsoc Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
"Teddington Hall", Hampton Road
"Teddington Hall-old photo", Hampton Road

Road: Hampton Road, Teddington

Property: "Teddington Hall"

Listed Grade II (1981)

Built in 1863, Teddington Hall is an elaborate battlemented house; it was part of the adjoining National Physical Laboratory for many years before being sold off. It is now converted into apartments.

The listing description is:

"Mid C19 2-storey house. Symmetrical 5-bay front in Tudor Gothic style with a later 1-bay extension to the right. Red brick with stucco dressings and quoins. Slate roof behind a crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles. Small stacks and ornamental terracotta pots. The parapet is taken up into an ogival gable over the central bay. Central doorway with stuccoed, crenellated porch with corner pinnacles approached up a flight of steps with a pair of stucco eagles on the front ends of the side dwarf walls. At 1st floor level the centre bay is framed by pilaster strips and contains a stucco aedicule within which is a figure of a knight in armour. The windows are mullioned and transomed with cusped heads and carved label stops. The outer bays have, on the ground floor, stuccoed canted bay windows with crenellated parapets."

This house seems to have changed hands frequently, as in the 4 censuses - 1871-1901 - it is occupied by 4 different families. In 1871 (ref. no. RG/866/100/4), 8 years after the house was built, it was occupied by Faithful and Eliza Cookson and family - 2 daughters and a son - and 2 servants. Mr Cookson was an 'ironmaster' (forge or blast furnace owner) and merchant from Chester. In 1881 (ref. no. RG11/842/114/5) Walter Bainbridge, a stockbroker, lived there with his wife Eliza, their 4 daughters and 2 sons; only 1 servant was recorded present. A doctor (a GP) (name undecipherable) occupied the hall in 1891 (ref. RG12/618/26/4) with his wife and family (2 daughters and a son) plus 4 servants. In 1901 (ref. RG13/673/66/11) Walter and Maria Sully and a stepdaughter lived there with 4 servants and a servant's son.

The detailed Historic England entry can be found at:


© Historic England 1981. The National Heritage List for England entry contained in this material was obtained on 18/7/13. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Entries can be obtained from www.historicengland.org.uk

This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.