Hampton Road, "Teddington War Memorial"
Road: Hampton Road, Teddington
Property: "Teddington War Memorial"
This white obelisk stands on a two-tiered Portland stone flagged plinth.
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest. List entry Number: 1444660 Grade: IIDate first listed: 18-May-2017
First World War memorial with later additional Second World War inscriptions. Architect Mr Francis W Doyle Jones. Memorial in the form of a tall cenotaph, unveiled in 1921.
Teddington war memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
- Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifices they made in the conflicts of the C20;
- Design: as an attractive and imposing cenotaph war memorial.
The aftermath of the World Wars saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised in Teddington, as a permanent testament to the sacrifices made by the members of the local community.
The memorial was designed by the architect Francis W Doyle Jones. It was unveiled 8 January 1921, shortly before the opening of the adjacent Teddington Memorial Hospital, of which the memorial is located at the front. The hospital was also created as a memorial to lives lost in the First World War. An additional inscription was added to the cenotaph after the Second World War.
DESCRIPTION: tall cenotaph, the upper section of the front face bearing a sword and laurel wreath relief; below this is the inscription: 'OUR / GLORIOUS / DEAD'. The rest of the face, and the other three sides of the cenotaph, are inscribed with the names of the fallen arranged by year. The lower back face includes the inscription: 'LIVE YE FOR ENGLAND / WE FOR ENGLAND DIED'.
The cenotaph rests on a plinth, the front face states: '1939-1945 / AND TO RECORD THE GRATITUDE OF THEIR / FELLOW TOWNSMEN TO THOSE FROM TEDDINGTON / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR OUR FREEDOM AND SAFETY / WHETHER IN THE FIGHTING SERVICES / OR ON THE HOME FRONT / WE WILL REMEMBER THEM'. This rests on a two-step platform. Selected Sources
Websites IWM - Teddington, accessed 8th February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/39849
National Grid Reference: TQ1545771016
© Historic England 2017. The National Heritage List for England entry contained in this material was obtained on 23/5/17. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Entries can be obtained from www.historicengland.org.uk
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.