Station Road, "Christ Church"
Road: Station Road, Teddington
Property: Christ Church
"A stone-faced building opened in 1869 as a Free Church of England. A tower & spire were planned but never built." TeddSoc 1975.
"The story of this goes back to the mid 19th century when Rev Daniel Trinder was vicar of Teddington (1857-1878). Trinder was a follower of high church traditions, preached his sermons in a surplice and introduced Hymns Ancient and Modern to the Church. This greatly upset a good proportion of his congregation. It is said that mud and stones were thrown at him as he walked in the street to cries of 'No popery!' This came to a head in the early 1860s when that part of the congregation broke away and founded Christ Church which allied itself to the Free Church of England. The first building was a corrugated iron hut in, appropriately enough, Church Road. In fact the road took its name from this church. It must have been a fairly uncomfortable building and especially hot in the summer months but it did not serve for long as a new church, the present building, was opened in Station Road in 1868/9. The old corrugated iron building was taken over by the Baptist Church and continued to serve as a church for many years." Written by Ken Howe 2013.
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.